Wednesday 30 June 2010

Treasure trove and medieval madness

Into the third day of week six and I've almost caught up! Today it is Slideshare. I had a good look at the four suggested Slideshare sites and here are my thoughts: slides are great for reminding you of a talk (including Andy Preistner's excellent 'Marketing your library') - however, in general they are not so good if you haven't been there (they lack the detail).

That said, I found Phil Bradley's slides really good. I was hooked in by his slides on Facebook privacy and found the instructions on the slide easy to follow - so easy that I have used the application and tightened up my Facebook settings. Thanks Phil!

Because this is a small library, we don't do formal presentations using slides. However, inspired by Phil Bradley, I can see that Slideshare could be used to give step-by-step instructions on how to find e-journals (for example), or how to use other resources provided by our library.

Anyway, I searched for Cambridge libraries and found Tony Hirst's link to a great UTube video called Medival Help Desk - it had me laughing out loud!

Slideshare can be a lot of fun and informative too! I hope I will find the time to use it for our library in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dominique
    I agree with your point about it being better to actually be there for the presentation! I do find it really useful though to see what info people are putting in their presentations and sometimes and get an idea of formatting something yourself. Also Powerpoint is excellent when used in conjunction with Jing for eg an online tour etc

    ReplyDelete