Friday 11 June 2010

Jury's out

Well, my google Calendar is up and running.

Having somehow circumvented all Google's nosy questions about myself until now, it turned out that the calendar wouldn't work without a first name and surname (Duh! OBVIOUSLY when you are sharing your calendar with others, they need to know who you are). Still, feeling rather taken over by Google recently, I dug my heals in and set myself up incognitio as 'News Nowhere'.

I can see that this is another application that has lots of potential: it was easy to set up and use; and I'm impressed that the UL and some other libraries are already using it.

Personally, I'm not so keen because I already have an online calendar / shared calendar, using Outlook, and it works very well. I can see that Google Calendar would be useful to link colleagues or friends together who do not use Outlook. The disadvantage is that they would all need to have an iGoogle account. But, when all is said and done, I will certainly keep an open mind about using Google Calendar in the future and I'm thinking of using it to record bookings for Old Library visits which can be shared between the group of people who act as guides.

Here's a screenshot of my Google Calendar in operation:

No comments:

Post a Comment